Saturday, May 14, 2016

{The Weekend Update} 5.14.16

Saturday, May 14, 2016 with 6 comments
So, since my end-of-the-week post isn't just about what I got in my mailbox or on my Kindle each week -- though that is a big part of it, I won't lie -- I decided to change up the title and intro a bit.  I might tweak the format a bit over the next few weeks, but for the most part, it'll contain the same stuff: stuff I got, stuff I did, and stuff that's coming up on the blog.  Plus, I get to use the awesome GIF you see here and blow kisses to all the people who sent me lovely books and bookish things.  Oh, and I've started linking up to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews since I'm not using a specific meme title anymore.  April's also doing her own Stacking the Shelves posts on Sundays.  Stop by and say hi!  =)

So, I wasn't around a lot this week because it was BEA week and while I'm super happy for all the folks who got to attend, the FOMO is seriously painful at times, so it was just better for me to avoid Twitter and Instagram all week. If you went, I hope you got some amazing goodies. If you didn't get to go, well...I'm right there with you. =D And if you did go and managed to score a copy of Caraval that you don't need, I would happily trade you for it. (See Trades below for more info.)

While I was briefly online on Friday, I discovered that 2016 show cancellations were in and Agent Carter didn't make the cut. I knew it was iffy, but this news still saddens me immensely. I'd already heard that Hayley Atwell had signed on for another show -- I can't remember which one and I don't feel like looking it up right now because of the sads -- so I didn't have high hopes, anyway. But I loved seeing badass Peg take on bad guys week after week, with no super powers, just her feminine wiles and intelligence. And, of course, I'll miss Jarvis and Ana, too.

Okay, okay. On to the books. Here's what I scored this week...

From Publishers:

Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Untitled, #1)The Female of the Species

From Harper:
Bright Smoke, Cold Fire by Rosamund Hodge
The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis



From Bloomsbury:
Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige



From Chronicle Books:
Gena/Finn by Hannah Moskowitz & Kat Helgeson

From Penguin:
The Edge of the Light by Elizabeth George

Traded:



I made one hell of a trade last week! The lovely Carol offered up all three books in Jay Kristoff's The Lotus War series AND offered to get them signed while he was in town over the weekend. And since she was so generous with her time, I went ahead and sent her the entire The Looking Glass Wars series, even though she only requested the first book, along with a couple others she wanted. I hate to break up a series, anyway. =)

New #booksfortrade | Have You Seen This? post this week! I'm still looking for a few high profile ARCs, like Throne of Glass, The Near Witch, and Scarlet (Gaughen), plus some other 2016 releases. Also, if anyone has an extra of Caraval, you can have whatever you want from my trade stacks. Anything. Just sayin'...

Freebies:

The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1)

The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury - just in time for the sequel! - via SYNC

Gifted:



My awesome older sister sent me a Beauty and the Beast-themed belated birthday present this week! I'm so happy to add all of these little guys to my Funko collection! =D



Finally got my ACOTAR tote for preordering A Court of Mist and Fury! It's so pretty and I love the quote on the opposite side


So, that's my haul. =) What fabulous bookmail did you get this week?



The Week in Review:

Reviews:

The Square Root of SummerGrimm's Fairy Tales

Current Giveaways:

Check back soon!

Promotional/Discussion Posts:
Currently Reading:

My Lady JaneSo, when I saw that this was "for fans of The Princess Bride," I knew it was only a matter of time before I caved and read it. But then I got a second copy and passed it on to my bestie so we could buddy read it. She's been at BEA this week so she hasn't done her part of the reading yet, but once I started, I couldn't NOT continue reading. It's so freaking funny...all of those horse jokes! Too adorable.




Currently Listening:

Along for the RideWith no library access yet, I'm still relistening to a ton of titles that I already own, and it's been kind of awesome. This was my first ever Sarah Dessen and it just feels like the right time to revisit it. It's a perfect ready-for-summer read.





Upcoming Reviews:


Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)Outrun the MoonThe Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2)A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)




Follow on BloglovinLike honest reviews & giveaways?  Be sure to follow us on Bloglovin' so you never miss out!

Instagram Like pretty pictures of books and bookish things? Follow me on Instagram! I also host IG giveaways from time to time. :D


Subscribe by email:




6 comments:

  1. It looks like you had quite a week without even going to BEA! I am looking forward to reading My Lady Jane. But I will need to either purchase it or get it from the library as I didn't score an advanced copy. I also pre-ordered ACOMAF, but didn't know there were andy goodies for pre-ordering it. The tote looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great haul! After reading Illuminae I'm really excited to read other books by Jay Kristoff! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome haul of books this week. I hope you love all of your new books this week.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Great haul. I need to get my hands on that Hodge book! Enjoy! STS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I like your bookhaul!

    I got: The Johnson Project and a series of "If you were me" kids books.

    I finished reading Beyond Cloud 9 by Greg Spry (GREAT read.)

    I can't wait until I get to the point where publishers start sending me horror books to review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jealous of Stealing Snow. I can't wait to get started on My Lady Jane after hearing how much you're enjoying it! Great haul!
    Check out my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...