Monday, July 15, 2013


We all delight in seeing our favorite books brought to life on the big screen.  We cringe at casting.  We scoff at release dates.  All the while, we're gearing up to see if the director's vision lives up to the world we've conceived in our own imaginations.  Sometimes it does...and sometimes it doesn't.  We could lament the movies that don't measure up, or we could return to the books for a re-read, possibly with a slightly different mind-set.  All's fair when it comes to artistic vision, right?




While I was laid up over the weekend recuperating from yet another bout of sickness, I caught up on some of my DVR'd programs and movies, including the following:

Add to Goodreads
Title: Snow White and the Huntsman
Director: Rupert Sanders
Stars: Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron, Sam Claflin
Release date: June 1, 2012
Based on: Snow White (Sneewittchen) by the Brothers Grimm, see also:  movie tie-in

In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen.








So, it's been a year since this movie came out, and I already knew from others that I shouldn't go into it expecting a whole lot.  Especially with emotionless Kristen Stewart playing the heroine.  But it wasn't just the fact that KStew was a terrible Snow White that made this film a disappointment.  (And that observation is hindered further by the fact that I adore Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow on Once Upon a Time because girl can be fierce and courageous and also beautiful and mild-mannered...she is the perfect Snow White.)

At any rate, it just felt like so much was missing from this story.  The movie fast-forwards through years of supposed torture or at the very least, maltreatment of Snow White, and she really looks no worse for wear, aside from those grubby fingernails of hers.  And then the Huntsman -- who I don't think was ever given a real name during the entirety of the movie -- simply went from drunk and mourning his wife to Snow White's savior and champion.  And where was William during all of this?  Who knows...except that when he does show up, apparently he's been mourning the loss of Snow White all these years past.  I'd have liked to see at least some of that in the movie.  It was just nothing, nothing, FEELINGS!

The special effects, however, were kind of cool....that whole mirror melting into a faceless figure was awesome.  And the dwarves!  When I mentioned the lack of dwarves about half-way through, my husband countered that it was Snow White and the Huntsman not the Seven Dwarves as in previous versions.  So, I was pretty excited when they did finally show up.  And they were just as fiercely protective as I expected them to be.

I love fairy tales and I love retellings, but for many reasons, this one just fell flat for me.  It did, however, get me excited to see Sam Claflin as Finnick Odair in Catching Fire this Thanksgiving.  :D

Rating:   photo 2-1.png 1/2



Have you seen this movie yet?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

18 comments:

  1. I liked this movie but didn't love it as much as I hoped. I also thought the special effects were really good on this one and I liked Charlize Theron in it. And really, I could just watch anything Chris Hemsworth does all day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlize was pretty awesome...loved seeing her as a villain. And, yes, Chris Hemsworth is pretty to watch. :)

      Delete
  2. I liked this movie enough. Sure it was nowhere near good enough for me to buy on DVD but you know if it was on TV and I had nothing else to watch I could tolerate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it was on TV and I had nothing better to do. :P

      Delete
  3. I wasn't as disappointed in this movie as you, but I didn't love it like I wanted to either. I thought Charlize Theron did a great job and thought her relationship with her brother was seriously creepy. I liked the special effects (like the scene with the great deer) and when Charlize turns into crows, but wished there had been more to the story as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sibling relationship was über creepy, right? And I agree, the special effects were pretty awesome.

      Delete
  4. This was a pretty movie at times but not much else. You're right - there just weren't any emotional connections to make you care about anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, pretty movie, meh story. But not a terrible way to spend a couple of hours when your laid up sick on the couch. :P

      Delete
  5. Yes! No feelings, emotional connections, etc. It fell flat and I felt like it lacked a lot of things. The effects were cool, but I wanted way more in the emotion department and actual storytelling. But Gennifer Goodwin in OUaT? FABULOUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I'm so far behind on OUaT, I don't think I'll ever catch up. Probably should have done that instead of watching this. o_O

      Delete
  6. I completely agree with the lack of emotional investment, although I did somewhat enjoy the movie. I guess I'm a sucker for the fairy tales. One thing I did hate though was the romance. Who does she really like, if anyone? The ending was incomplete but I kind of hope they don't film a sequel.

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, please...NO SEQUEL! The story doesn't warrant that, in my opinion. But since it was called Snow White and the HUNTSMAN, and his kiss broke the spell, I'm assuming they live happily ever after.

      Delete
  7. I liked it better than I thought but I went into it with really low expectations. I also don't like Kristen Stewart but the effects were good and of course Chris is nice to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe...yes, no question that Chris is pretty. :) Since he didn't have a name besides the Huntsman in the movie, I just called him Thor. In fact, when I refer to him IRL, I still call him Thor. :P

      Delete
  8. I liked it a little better than I thought I would. Of course, I don't share the opinion that Kristen Stewart is an emotionless actress - I have a theory that "Kristen Stewart is a bad actress" is cultural shorthand for "I hate the idea of Twilight and everything associated with it." I thought she was pretty awesome as Joan Jett in 'The Runaways,' and I'm looking forward to seeing her in 'On the Road.'

    Of course, I'm also excited about Sam Claflin in 'Catching Fire.' I wish everyone will have read 'Mockingjay' before they see the movie, because you don't really understand why Finnick is Finnick until you know what the Capital did to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm of the mind that she's a bad actress. I saw her in Adventureland, and although I love Jesse Eisenberg, I hated that movie. I can get past the Twilight thing. I can't get past bad acting.

      Delete
  9. I'm not a fan of Stewart, and would have been waay more excited if someone else had played Snow White. I think some of the best acting was by Theron, she made a great evil queen. But you know what fairy tale I'd like to see remade into a movie- Sleeping Beauty, but maybe w/a steampunk feel...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know Sam Claflin was in this one! I saw it with my brother, and I agree with you: there was a LOT missing. Little depth in the characters - somewhat of insta!love too as the Huntsman becomes her protector. The world itself was a bit confusing, and no matter how awesome a villain Charlize Theron was, I was still a bit miffed by the end. Graphics beautiful. Maybe another shot at a different fairy tale? And without KStew.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...